Extra large banana muffins full of mini chocolate chips – or not! A family recipe you won’t want to miss!
Do you ever have to super over ripe bananas sitting on your counter? Sometimes I do, but I mostly buy bananas, let them over ripen and shove them into the black hole which I call my freezer. I am not a fan of bananas, but throw them into a bread or muffin and I’m game. Otherwise? Not a chance. But I’m going to assume all of you like bananas and have them sitting on your counter or hangin’ out in your freezer. This recipe is a perfect use of those black bananas. Now since I’m not a banana person you would get a good laugh and watching me peel these thawed over ripe mushy bananas.
Now this recipe is my Mom’s banana bread, doubled and baked in an XL muffin pan. If you don’t have an xl muffin pan no problem! Just bake them in a regular size pan. Voila. Problem Solved. But if you’re thinking about buying one of these pans. Do it! Its the best. I would way rather have 12 large muffins then 24 regular sized muffins. It doesn’t make me feel so bad when I’ve eaten 3 or 4. Now just look at these muffins. They’re seriously large and in charge.. What? Did I really just say that about a muffin?!
I made these half with chocolate chips and half without. If you want to make them all with or all without, or half and half, go for it! They’re good both ways. Celebrate Friday with these XL banana muffins!
What You’ll Need:
- 6 very ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extracts
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your muffin tin - set aside.
- In your medium bowl toss together your flour, baking powder and baking soda - set aside.
- In your large bowl mash your over ripe bananas.
- Whisk in the oil and sugar, mix well.
- Mix in your eggs and vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula fold in your dry ingredients until no flour remains.
- Fold in your chocolate chips.
- **I did half regular muffins and half chocolate chips. if you go half and half like I did use just under 1 cup of mini chocolate chips. If you do your full batch with chocolate chips use 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Fill your muffin tin 3/4 of the way full and bake for 18 minutes.
- **If you're using a regular size muffin tin check your muffins at 11-13 minutes. Take them out when you insert a toothpick and just crumbs come out.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing and letting fully cool on a wire rack.