Treat yourself to these grain free, chocolately brownies packed with sweet potatoes and peanut butter. Smother them in a mocha frosting and enjoy!
Happy weekend, friends!
You know those days where you could eat an entire pan of brownies and be ok with it? No? Just me?
Well, you won’t feel bad eating
half the pan of these Sweet Potato Brownies this weekend.
They’re packed with mashed sweet potato, peanut butter, cocoa powder and sweetened with maple syrup – pretty good so far, right? Top them with a mocha frosting, and you won’t be able to stop yourself from eating more than one.
We’ve made these without frosting before and they are insanely good, but with the frosting.. it seals the deal on these being my favorite brownies… ever.
That’s a prettty big name to live up to, but they’re grain-free – and you wouldn’t even know it unless I told you.
I actually had this recipe sent to me by a family friend after I had it at her sons birthday party a few years ago. I had never had a chocolate cake stay so moist – let alone a gluten free chocolate cake!
I couldn’t believe there were sweet potatoes in them.
And I betcha, you wouldn’t have known unless I told ya!
We’ve made these so many times over the last year or so and its always been on my to-do list to photograph and post them.
But they never last long enough for me to photograph them. They get gobbled up way to quick, every time.
I find these to be a bit more dense than regular brownies, but they don’t lack that rich chocolate taste you crave when you want a batch of homemade brownies.
I’ve covered them in a mocha frosting, and although its definitely optional.. I highly recommend it.
Whether you eat it by the spoonful, or if any actually make it on top of these brownies you won’t be disappointed.
Like I said before, we’ve made these sans frosting and they are just as good.
But that mocha frosting just takes these to the next level.
- 1 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes - about 3 or 4
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons cooca powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter - softened to room temperature
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon expresso powder
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven for an hour - this can be done ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator if you'd like.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper - set aside.
- Mix together your mashed sweet potatoes, peanut butter, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and espresso powder until thoroughly combined.
- Add in your eggs and mix well.
- Pour batter into the lined pan and bake for 25-28 minutes
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl beat the butter until creamy.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, espresso powder and one cup of the powdered sugar.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Add in a tablespoon of milk and beat until combined.
- Add more powdered sugar/milk until you reach the consistency you prefer.
- Frost your cooled brownies and enjoy!
*Brownies adapted from Make the Best of Everything