Have you been day dreaming about summer? I’m not sure about you, but there is something about anything lemon that instantly reminds me of sunshine and warm weather. This sweet and tangy lemon loaf should help tide you over until summer actually arrives. This loaf is loaded with lemon zest and has a pound cake-like texture. The crumb topping – in my opinion, is a must on this loaf – it has a crunchy exterior while maintaining its soft interior. Topped with a sweet and tangy glaze that ties the whole loaf together. Loaded with lemon juice, you really get that tart lemon flavour while still balancing on the edge of sweet. This loaf is moist while bursting with rich flavour, and is so easy to make. And there is no mixer required, and when baking in a small kitchen it really does make the clean up easier – and fewer dishes too! If you’re a fan of lemon – and even if you aren’t – you need to try this loaf, it’s to die for!
What You’ll Need
- Large Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl
- 8″ Loaf Pan
- Wire Cooling Rack
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 5 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- In your small bowl mix together the flour, sugar, salt and melted butter with a fork until it has a crumb like texture - set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease and flour your 8" loaf pan and set aside.
- In your large bowl mix together your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In your medium bowl whisk together the evaporated milk, oil, lemon zest and eggs.
- Add your egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined - I just used the whisk and it worked perfect!
- Pour the batter into your greased pan.
- Evenly distribute your crumb topping on top of your unbaked loaf
- Bake for 1 hour - or until you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Do not bake over 1 hour and 10 minutes - mine was done right at 1 hour.
- Once done, remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to completely cool.
- Once your loaf has completely cool combine your lemon juice and icing sugar and mix well with a fork.
- Drizzle evenly over your lemon loaf.
- Store in an air tight container up to a week.
4 thoughts on “Lemon Loaf with a Sweet Crumb Topping”
oh yum! the topping looks great!
Hi Dina! It really is great. Let me know if you try it! 🙂
I tried making this and it was easy and flavourful! Great recipe!
So glad you enjoyed it Madeline! 🙂