Soft, fluffy vanilla cupcakes towering with an egg-less cookie dough frosting. The perfect treat for all you cookie dough lovers!
Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian followers! Hope you are out in the sun with friends and family! I’m happy to have something to share with you today! It had been about 2 weeks since I had baked! We just had our bathroom re-done and it was a week of construction and dust. Lots and lots of dust. Everywhere. Not something you want when you’re baking. Especially from a bathroom that hadn’t been re-done since the 70’s. If you follow me in Instagram you can look back and see how pink it was. We’re just trying to decide on a paint color and then voila, its done. Finally!
Now enough about old bathrooms, and let me tell you about these cupcakes. Let me just start by saying.. Cookie Dough Frosting?! And its egg-less. Always a good start when you’re going to be smothering it on top of your favorite cupcakes. These vanilla cupcakes are a recipe I always turn to. Its easy to come together and doesn’t require a mixer, which ends up being less clean up and less counter space being used. I can use all the counter space I can get.
Now this frosting is extremely easy too, and it can be used for so many things. You can eat it with a spoon, on cupcakes, as a dip. The options are endless. Eat it however you want. You won’t be able to stop! I scooped mine onto these cupcakes with a large cookie scoop, but you can frosting these with as much or as little as you want! Although I wouldn’t recommend trying to pipe this frosting – its pretty thick and sometimes the chocolate chips don’t make it through!
Also, look at those amazing Bake Bright liners from Sweets & Treats. They are grease proof and stand up to about anything. Plus they have so many color and pattern options. I can’t go back to other liners. Shannon from Sweets & Treats has me hooked!
What You’ll Need
- Cupcake Pan
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Hand Mixer
- 1 and 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar - lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 4 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt - set aside.
- In the medium bowl mix the melted butter and sugar together, the mixture will be gritty.
- Add the egg whites, greek yogurt, milk and vanilla bean extract and mix until well combined.
- Slowly fold in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until no lumps remain - the batter will be thick.
- Fill all 12 cupcake liners evenly and bake for 18-19 minutes - do not bake longer than 20 minutes - mine were ready right at 18 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack before frosting
- Beat your butter and sugar together until well combined.
- Mix in the vanilla and flour and mix until everything is well combined,
- Beat in milk until you've reached your desired consistency.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- This frosting is a bit thick, I scooped mine on with a cookie scoop. You can frost with a knife, I wouldn't suggest piping this frosting as its very thick.