Coffee and Chocolate lovers unite in this amazing combination. These chocolate cupcakes are moist and fluffy, with a rich flavour. The coffee buttercream is easy and delicious too – and you can control the amount of coffee going into it, just make sure to alter the amount of icing sugar to compensate for the right texture. I think you all should make these now, or very soon. This will now be my go-to home made chocolate cupcake. Honestly, I haven’t come across a good homemade chocolate cupcake, ever really. But this one is so chocolate-y and light – not dense at all. Plus its a perfect excuse to make a good batch of buttercream icing. Enjoy these with a good cup of coffee – hopefully outside while the sun is shining!
What You’ll Need
- Stand Mixer
- Cupcake Pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Medium Bowl
- Large Bowl
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Vanilla Bean Paste
Coffee Buttercream Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter - at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoons coffee - at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl add your cocoa powder and boiling water today and whisk until smooth.
- Let cool down to room temperature - I stuck my bowl in the fridge while i was getting everything else ready.
- Line your cupcake pan with the liners.
- In a large bowl combine your flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir until all mixed together and set aside.
- With your stand mixer cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, beating after each addition.
- Add your vanilla extract and mix until everything is combined.
- With your mixer on low speed slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour your cooled cocoa mixture into your stand mixer bowl.
- Stir by hand until mixed well.
- Fill your cupcake pan 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes - make sure to check at 16 minutes as you dont want to over bake these.
- Cool on a wire rack until ready to frost.
- Using a stand mixer beat your butter on high speed until its light and fluffy - about 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly add your icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time until its throughly mixed - scraping the sides as needed.
- Add your vanilla bean paste and cooled coffee.
- Beat until you've reached your desired texture.
- Frost your cupcakes - I used Wiltons 1M
1 thought on “Coffee Buttercream Chocolate Cupcakes”
These were super good! I liked using real coffee instead of instant coffee granules – nice touch! Definitely recommended.